Thursday, September 10, 2009

No More

It was the end of a bad workday. I was tired. I was cranky. I was looking forward to going home and enjoying a G&T, some dinner, and a bubblebath. Unlocking my front door I thought to myself "I made it. Home free! See ya later, outside world. Things are finally looking up for the ol' Dig Digger!"

Before letting myself into the house, I reached into my mailbox.

And was greeted with this:

That's right: addressed to me personally was More magazine, the "only Canadian magazine that celebrates women over 40".

Oh More magazine subscription offer!
How do I hate thee?
Let me count the ways!

1. Get your demographics straight. I don't know who sold you my info, but you've hit too young. I may have started the downward slope to 40 but I'm not there yet.

2. This sort of thing could alienate the type of woman who might otherwise buy your publication.

3. I will never be the type of woman who buys your publication.

4. And you can't give it to me free for a full year either.

5. The GO girl! thing is lame.

6. The letter from the editor starts off with "Dear Fascinating Woman".

7. And it promises me that I'll learn "the latest about everything from hot fashions to hot flashes."

8. The whole thing makes me think of weekday morning TV talk shows.

9. And I haven't watched weekday morning TV talk shows since the late 90s.

Hah! Take THAT, More magazine, you and your attempts to prematurely age me. Why, I haven't enjoyed a rant this much since my weekend complaint about young girls nowadays being slouchy and prone to wearing t-shirts as dresses.


Uh-oh ...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, you'll be informed on the joys of 40+ altho I don't think you need a subscription quite yet. LOL!

Kurt said...

Say, didn't you 'Go girl! yourself in the back to work post a little while ago?

Perhaps you meant it in the literal sense back then - fibre intake is important to someone of your advanced age, and maybe muffins do the trick.

'BAM'!

Amanda said...

Oh my lord. I just turned 36 last week and though I still look youngish and don't believe my age is really an issue...there is this weird pressure to start placing weight upon age once you approach 40, like the whole "Jennifer Aniston is a poor unlucky single lady who's over 40 and doomed to spinsterhood" kinda thing. I congratulate you for not just chucking that magazine into the street in a blaze of fire, haha.

Amanda said...

I was thining of this post again today when a pop-up appeared on my computer calendar. It was reminding me that I am due any day now for my annual physical. Which in turn reminded me that last year, I went on my birthday. Poor timing, but one of those things that just sort of occurred.

And which shall NEVER occur again! I spent the morning I turned 35, listening to my doctor talk about "women of your age" and suggest tests and whatnot that should be integrated into my physicals from now on, "considering your age".

gah!