Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Spice Up Your Life

[Kim at Kurt's before the other dinner guests arrive, hanging out in the kitchen as he assembles spices for the salmon. Kurt tries to shake coriander into a measuring spoon and sprinkles it across the counter instead.]

Kurt: God, I hate this stupid container.

Kim: Yeah, what a mess.

Kurt: The design is crap. Look at this, you can't even flip the lid open. There's just a hole punched in the corner. But then the spice gets caught in the ridge and winds up all over the place.

Kim: Not well thought out, is it?

Kurt: No, it's not. Cheap, flimsy garbage. That's why I keep some of my mom's old spice boxes and refill them. They knew how to make things back then. [Brandishes an Empress box of cloves.]


Kim: Wow! Cloves were $3.89 in the seventies?

Kurt: They were a luxury in Yorkton.

Kim: Before the global food revolution.

Kurt: Back when ships helmed by bedouins navigated the spice route.

Kim: Hey. I thought the bedouins were a nomadic desert people who probably didn't have much to do with ships.

Kurt: You wanna be fed tonight?

Kim: Yeah.

Kurt: Then stop interrupting my story.

Kim: Ok, fine. The bedouins traveled overland to Saskatchewan in caravans.

Kurt: Setting up makeshift markets by the train tracks. You didn't bring your children there.

Kim: The prices were outrageous, but you paid them.

Kurt: How else could we have fully enjoyed mom's glazed ham with canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries?


Kim: How indeed? Your mom went to great lengths for ham.

Kurt: That she did.

[Pause]

Kim: I'm glad you're not making that tonight.

Kurt: Me too. By the way, I've decided to deny you the salmon after all.

Kim: I don't know why I keep coming here.

Kurt: Me neither.

No comments: